I Yam What I Yam

My photo
Well there's a lot about me that won't fit in this space, that's for sure. I'm a dork. Words have just recently started to flow from my head to my fingers. I play tuba. I hurdle. I believe in the green light. I like long walks on the beach, blue jolly ranchers, Nutella, and making my friends smile. This blog is a manifestation of my mind, to some extent. Bon Appetit!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

"Do One Thing Every Day That Scares You"

The title of this post is a quote from "Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen", a hypothetical (but never actually given) commencement speech written by not Kurt Vonnegut (as was rumored) but by Mary Schmich, a columnist with the Chicago Tribune in 1997. Later it was voiced by Baz Luhrmann.
If you haven't listened to it, here it is: Click me!!!

Anyway, on to Doing Scary Things.
I've been listening to this more and more and that particular line always sticks out to me. So I've been making an effort to push myself a little more and also to notice when I do things that scare me. And I think I've been doing a pretty good job of it. Now in my opinion, if you do one thing every day that scares you, you'll just be neurotic. But 4 days a week? That's doable.
So this blog post will be a forever changing chronicle of the things I have done day-to-day that have scared me.

11/2- Getting filmed. And standing my ground with a teacher...
11/3- Can't remember.
11/4- Field show for marching band. It always scares me, every time, but it's worth it.
11/5- Huge baby shower where I only knew 4 people.
11/6- Open house. (scared of doing something wrong). Also Krylon-ing the canvases because I was afraid of ruining them.
11/7- Welp. Transporting the canvases. Taking the train from Newark instead of Wilmington. Walking to the dorm building solo. Surprising him (so many things could go wrong!). Walking in the city in general (cars are ruthless and fast).
11/8- Watching Glee (klaine....) With my papa. (not super scary, but still)
11/9- Blood drive. And Jazz band. (The latter is by far the scarier)

okay so obviously this has been abandoned. It was a nice thought though...

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about gotta-go-change-my-pants scared or anything like that. I'm just talking about the day-to-day fears everyone has. And seeing if I really do one thing every day that scares me. It's a bit of an experiment I suppose.

The video's worth a watch too...

No comments:

Post a Comment